Cashew Butter Chocolate Smoothie Bowl
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower florets, raw or pre-steamed*
- 1 1/2 frozen bananas
- 1/4 cup cashew butter (unsalted if you prefer)
- 2 scoops plant-based chocolate protein powder (I enjoy this brand)
- 1 cup plant milk
- cashew butter**
- toasted coconut flakes
- cocoa nibs
- sliced banana
- hemp hearts
- Add the chia seeds and hemp hearts to a clean coffee grinder and grind until finely ground. Set aside.
- Add the frozen cauliflower florets, frozen bananas, cashew butter, protein powder, plant milk and chia-hemp mixture to a high-speed blender. Combine on low, pausing to scrape down the sides of the blender occasionally, and then whirling away a bit longer until the smoothie is thick and creamy. As the cauliflower and banana soften, the smoothie will come together more easily. Only add a splash of extra plant milk as needed, to enhance blending during this process. (Otherwise, you may end up with a thin smoothie!)
- Transfer the cashew butter chocolate smoothie to a bowl (or divide the smoothie between two bowls). Add the toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
- *Pre-steaming the cauliflower florets (prior to freezing) is touted to aid in digestion. Short on time? Simply use store-bought, frozen cauliflower. Cauliflower found down the frozen food aisle typically undergoes blanching prior to freezing. Raw, frozen cauliflower is okay too if it doesn’t bother you. (I used raw, frozen cauliflower in my smoothie bowl. Since we all have unique gut flora, do what works for you!)
- No protein powder on hand? No problem! Swap out the chocolate protein powder for 2 tbsp of cocoa powder. Or add the cocoa powder to your smoothie bowl (in addition to the protein powder) for an extra-chocolately treat.
- Cashew butter can be swapped out for any nut (or sunflower seed) butter you might have on hand.
- **For an extra indulgence, make a maple-cashew butter drizzle (1/4 cup cashew butter, plus 1 tbsp of maple syrup and 1-2 tbsp of lukewarm water whisked together).