Light and tender, gluten-free pistachio and chocolate chip scones are the stuff breakfast, brunch and fika dreams are made of.
Fika— a Swedish tradition which roughly translates as a time to gather with friends, eat lovely homemade baked goods and drink great coffee or tea, is a must amidst the hustle and bustle of daily life. Do you fika? Whether you’re new to the concept or just want to eat some yummy baked goods around 2 p.m. each day, I’ve got you covered with these gluten-free pistachio and chocolate chip scones.
Fresh from the oven, can you smell the cardamom? These golden beauties are laced with the warming spice traditionally used in Scandinavian baking. In fact, many of the most common fika baked goods involve cardamom in some way.
Light and tender, these gluten-free scones taste simply amazing with the addition of pistachios and tiny chocolate chips. Baking gluten-free treats can at times, be a challenge. But no-one would be the wiser with these scones. Topped with demerara sugar, these pistachio and chocolate chip scones get a bit of extra rise from a heaping tablespoon of baking powder, plus a teaspoon of baking soda. They also contain tapioca flour which improves the texture and golden baked exterior layer of the scones.
Tender on the inside.
Crunchy golden brown on the outside.
Lightly sweetened with organic cane sugar.
Loaded with chopped pistachios and chocolate chips.
Gently flavored with cardamom.
Whether you’re taking pause for fika or prepping for afternoon tea, these scones are sure to comfort. They’re also perfect for a quick breakfast on-the-go or a brunch staple. Once baked, they can also be freshened up a bit in the oven (350 degrees for 5 minutes) if you’re serving them a day or two after they’re made.
- 1⅔ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- 8 tbsp. vegan butter, cold and roughly diced
- ⅔ cup of plain yogurt (can substitute non-dairy yogurt here)
- 1 egg (can substitute a flax egg here)
- ½ cup roughly chopped pistachios, shells removed
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (I use this brand)
- demerara sugar (optional to top)
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, add gluten-free flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, sea salt and cane sugar. Pulse 5 times to aerate.
- Add cold vegan butter to the flour mixture and pulse 10 times or so until the mixture is crumbly.
- Remove flour-butter mixture from food processor and place in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add in the yogurt and egg.
- Using a spatula and then your hands, lightly incorporate yogurt and egg into the mixture. Make sure there are no dry flour spots in the mixture.
- Wash your hands well and pat dry. Using your spatula, fold in pistachios and chocolate chips.
- Using your hands again, transfer dough to the parchment lined baking sheet as 6 equal round scones. Wash hands and pat dry. Then sprinkle each unbaked scone with demerara sugar as desired.
- Bake scones for 12 minutes; rotating the baking pan half-way through.
- Remove scones from the oven and let cool to a warm touch before serving. Enjoy!