Deliciously rich, peppermint brownies topped with crushed candy canes are an instant holiday favorite.
Eat dessert first. That’s my motto this season. With seasonal savory stunners frequenting the holiday table, I just can’t let the sweet stuff get overlooked. Especially when it comes to chocolate. Although, I don’t need to give myself additional permission to eat chocolate. I’ll take any season as an occasion to bring out the best of the cocoa bean, especially when it comes to gooey brownies loaded with minty, crushed peppermint. In short, don’t forget to save room for dessert! Or eat it first.
Fresh from the oven, these peppermint brownies are sure to please a crowd. Bake them for potlucks, holiday parties or work events. Or keep them all to yourself for cozy nights binging on Netflix and wrapping presents amidst twinkling holiday lights.
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 1½ cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 3 large eggs or flax eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- ¾ cup unsweetened, natural cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour (or sub gluten-based flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp crushed candy canes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan or line with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt coconut oil and ½ cup of dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Remove from microwave and whisk together.
- Add melted oil/chocolate mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk in the sugar and maple syrup until well combined. Then whisk in the eggs or flax eggs, vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt to mixture and fold with a wooded spoon until mixture is well combined. (Mixture will be thick.)
- Fold in the chocolate chips (1 cup) and spread batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake brownies for 15 minutes. Remove unfinished brownies from the oven, top with crushed candy canes and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Brownies will be done when edges are set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean (just a few moist crumbs, not wet batter).
- Let brownies cool before cutting into squares and serving.