Give yourself permission for a little self-care with this dreamy vegan lavender ice cream.
Beautifully creamy, light and luscious, this vegan lavender ice cream is all about self-care. One bite and it’s easy to see why. It’s incredibly smooth, made from dairy-free ingredients like coconut butter and a blend of cashew and coconut milk, and it’s infused with just the perfect amount of lavender.
Summertime is the perfect time to say “yes” to a little self-indulgence. Because let’s be honest, there’s a lot to love about summer—sunshine, swimming holes, picnics, outdoor movies, sandals…and the list goes on! But nothing beats homemade ice cream. Especially when made with lavender and lighter ingredients that make us feel like we just spent a day at the spa.
This vegan lavender ice cream is a recipe you’ll want to make all season long. Plus you’ll find only the creamiest of dairy-free ice cream here! No grainy bits and no stabilizers (like guar gum or xanthan) to produce a creamy texture. Just the perfect amount of coconut butter, coconut milk, and homemade cashew milk!
While self-care comes in all shapes and forms, the use of aromatic lavender is definitely one of my favorites. Renowned for its ability to calm the mind and center the body, lavender touts anxiety-soothing, headache easing, and depression alleviation abilities. Although, perhaps it should be best celebrated in culinary form—as lavender is a wonderful, herbal addition to sugars, ice creams, sauces, jams and more!
Taking time out for yourself is easy and delicious this season with this vegan lavender ice cream. Happy churning!
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- water to cover, plus 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup light agave nectar
- 6 tbsp. coconut butter
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup cashew milk
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp dried lavender (culinary grade), plus a bit of extra for sprinkling
- Place cashews in a medium sized bowl and cover with water to soak. Place soaking cashews in the refrigerator overnight (for about 6-8 hours).
- Drain cashews from soaking water and place them in a high-speed blender along with 1½ cups of water. Blend for 2 minutes until creamy.
- Using a fine mesh strainer (or nut milk bag), strain the cashews. You will be left with a creamy milk, free of grainy residue.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat, add ¼ cup of water. Then add agave nectar and cane sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved and agave is well incorporated.
- Add the coconut butter and kosher salt. Stir until melted.
- Remove sugar/coconut butter mixture from heat and pour into a high-speed blender.
- Add cashew milk, coconut milk, and lavender. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer vegan lavender ice cream mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve immediately as soft serve, or freeze for an additional 4 hours for firmer ice cream. Sprinkle with lavender when ready to serve (optional).
To save time you may wish to try incorporating store bought cashew milk into this recipe.
For a stronger lavender flavor, you may wish to try grinding (via a mortal and pestle) the lavender and simply adding it into the ice cream mixture about half-way through churning. However, found this ice cream to bring plenty of lavender flavor from adding it in during the blending process.