Oodles and oodles of zucchini noodles! Try this delicious take on pasta at home or whip up a larger batch for summer gatherings with family and friends.
An easy swap for pasta, zucchini noodles (zoodles) are all z’ rage! Paired with a delicious, basil-packed pistachio pesto and fresh summer produce (tomatoes, nectarines and avocado), simple zucchini noodles with pesto is yours in just 15 minutes!
Summer is all about feeling energized, breezy and light. Finding healthier alternatives to heavier fall and winter dishes that satisfy hefty pasta cravings are important when it’s so hot out you just.don’t.want.to.cook. Enter zucchini noodles with pesto! Let flavors shine through in a simple way with fresh, nutritious zucchini that requires absolutely no cooking at all. Grab a spiralizer, mandolin or a julienne peeler to slice zucchini into pasta-like ribbons of deliciousness.
This is a great dish to share with family and friends or to keep all to yourself. Not to mention that zoodles tossed with pistachio pesto is truly something magical. A member of the cashew family, pistachio balances perfectly with lemon, garlic and basil in this bright tasting pesto. It provides a slightly sweeter taste (as opposed to a more traditional, pine nut or walnut based pestos), making it a winning combination with fresh, summer zucchini. And the pesto is sooooo good, I had to stop myself from eating it with a spoon.
- 3 large zucchini, ends trimmed and washed
- 2 cups basil leaves, packed
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ cup pistachios, shelled and unsalted
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- slided cherry or grape tomatoes
- nectarine slices
- avocado slices
- red chili flakes
- Using a spiralizer, julienne peeler or mandolin, slice the zucchini into zoodles. Set aside.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, add basil, garlic, pistachios, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and olive oil. Pulse until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss zoodles with pesto until well coated.
- Top with sliced tomatoes, nectarines, avocado and red chili flakes.