- 3 cups extra thick rolled oats
- 3 cups diced apples (peeled, any variety will do)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup whole pecans (or you can chop them if you wish)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch of coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients (except for dried fruit). In a small bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix the granola to coat.
- Turn the granola out onto the parchment-lined baking sheet and use the back of a spoon to spread the granola evenly.
- Bake the apple crisp granola for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven temperature down to 300 degrees F, give the granola a stir, and bake for an additional 40 minutes to an hour.* Be sure to stir the granola every 10-15 minutes for even coloration and cooking.
- Remove the granola from the oven and allow it to cool completely.** Then stir in the dried currants and cranberries.
- Serve the apple crisp granola with your favorite yogurt, milk or as a snack by the handful. Store the granola in an airtight container for up to a week.
*Oven temperatures/timing may vary. Look for granola that is light golden brown and crisp.
** The granola will crisp up further as it cools. Allow it to cool completely.