Celebrate your next birthday with this delightfully spiced cardamom cake, layered with wild blueberry jam, covered with rich-lemony buttercream and topped with sweet blueberries.
Cardamom Cake Layers
- 3 eggs or flax eggs (1 flax egg= 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp of water, stir well and let sit)
- 1/2 cup of Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Stick at room temperature (you may wish to substitute coconut oil here or regular butter)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons of full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup of all purpose gluten-free flour (could be made with regular flour too)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- You favorite blueberry jam (store bought or homemade)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Stick at room temperature (you may also substitute real butter here if you wish)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
Making the Cardamom Cake Layers
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare two 6-inch cake pans with a collar and bottom made from baking parchment.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until airy (about 3 minutes or so). Then add in the butter and beat well.
- Whisk the coconut milk with the vanilla, and add it to the egg mixture.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and cardamom together in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry mixture to the egg/sugar mixture. And mix well. Then pour the cake batter evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Making the Buttercream Frosting
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer) beat the butter until well whipped.
- Add the powdered sugar, coconut milk and lemon juice. Beat slowly at first (to avoid a dust storm from the powdered sugar) then beat until well combined and fluffy.
- Fold in lemon zest.
Assembling the Cake
- Cool the cakes (in the pan) on a wire rack for about 10 minutes (or until the pans are cool enough to handle safely).
- Invert the cake pans and gently remove the layers. If you leave the layers too long in the pan, they will become soggy!
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand or large plate and spread generously with blueberry jam.
- Flip your other cake layer (bottom side up) and place on top of your first cake layer.
- Place cake layers in the refrigerator for just a few minutes to cool. (This will help your frosting from melting off the cake and to solidify your blueberry jam layer.)
- Remove from the refrigerator and frost the cake with buttercream.
- Top with blueberries and enjoy!
Adapted from Cardamom Cake with Blueberries from Lomelino’s Cakes