Enjoy the flavors of carrot cake for breakfast, with these lightly sweet + tender scones.
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 flax eggs (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp of water= 1 flax egg)
- 1 cup quinoa flakes (plus more for topping)
- 1 1/3 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk + a squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 1/4 sticks EarthBalance Butter (keep chilled)
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch (or corn starch)
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- a few pinches of brown sugar to top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Make the flax eggs (if you haven’t already) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the quinoa flakes, gluten-free flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry blender, knives or your finger tips, cut the butter into small pieces and toss in the flour mixture. Try not to handle the butter too much, or it will become messy!
- Add the flax egg and almond milk + lemon juice to the flour-butter mixture.
- Fold with a spatula until mixture begins to bind together.
- Add vanilla, maple syrup and agave and gently mix.
- Fold in the carrots and raisins.
- Knead the dough and then move it to a workable surface.
- Using a rolling pin, or your hands, press and/or roll the dough out (to about 3/4-1 inch thickness).
- Use a cookie cutter (or small glass) of your choice to cut the scones out. (I used a small, heart-shaped cookie cutter)
- Place scones on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Top scones with a few quinoa flakes and brown sugar as desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let scones cool before eating (on a cooling rack).
Dusting the cookie cutter with a bit of gluten-free flour will help cut the scones more easily and avoid the dough sticking to the inside of the cutter.
The number of scones will vary, based on the size of your cookie cutter or glass.
Recipe adapted from Canelle et Vanille, Cranberry and Quinoa Scones.