The forecast called for snow. The weather prognosticator’s voice spoke with authority as I took the familiar turn up the tree-lined street and into my driveway. Despite spotting an early-blooming cherry tree, Cliff Mass is never wrong. And neither is Punxsutawney Phil. (After spending a handful of my formative years in Pennsylvania, I learned that the hard way.)
During the prolonged days of winter, I find myself longing for sunny respites and cheerful hues. But with snow afoot, cozying up with a bowl of Instant Pot Chai-Spiced Oatmeal reminds me that contentment can be as simple a warm bowl of creamy oats. Especially when it’s ready in 5 minutes, lavished with maple-almond butter and infused with chai tea spices.
I don’t think I could ever tire of anything chai-spiced. Especially when the words “arctic blast” resonate through my mind attempting to divert my weekend plans. Spicy and complex, milky chai tea always revives and warms. So you can imagine my good fortune when: a) an Instant Pot was gifted to me for my birthday b) I realized I could warm up with a delicious bowl of oats akin to the highly coveted beverage and c) it could be mine in less than 5 minutes AND make the house smell amazing. Which consequentially leaves plenty of time for dreaming about summer camping trips and garden plans. And perhaps figuring out a way to avoid the “coldest weather period in over a year” by traveling to the tropics on a shoestring budget.
Topped with chopped almonds, fresh fruit, a dash of cinnamon and splash of plant-based milk, this Instant Pot Chai-Spiced Oatmeal is just the thing to get us through this last bit of winter. And if you don’t own an Instant Pot, not to worry! You can still make this lovely oatmeal rather quickly.
Looking for more oatmeal recipes? Try this Creamy Coconut Oatmeal with Strawberry Rhubarb Compote!Print
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp cinnamon, plus more for optional topping
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- sliced almonds (optional, for topping)
- Fresh fruit (optional, for topping)
- A splash of plant-based milk (optional, for serving)
Maple-Almond Butter Drizzle
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3-4 tbsp water
- Grease the bottom of the Instant Pot well with the coconut oil. Then add the water, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom and vanilla extract. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to gently stir the ingredients together to evenly distribute.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and adjust the steam release handle to sealing. Select the manual setting, and set the timer for 3 minutes.
- While the oatmeal is cooking, prepare the maple-almond butter drizzle. Add the almond butter and maple syrup to a food processor or high-speed blender. Stream in the water one tbsp at a time while blending until smooth and creamy, until your desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
- Once the oatmeal is done cooking, remove the Instant Pot lid and give the oatmeal a gentle stir. Spoon the oatmeal into bowls and add as much maple-almond butter drizzle as desired. Top with sliced almonds, fresh fruit, a splash or two of plant-based milk and a dash of cinnamon as desired.
- No Instant Pot? No problem! Simply cook the oatmeal according to the package instructions and serve up with the maple-almond butter drizzle or whatever your heart desires.
- Want to make breakfast extra speedy? Streamline your morning by adding all chai-spiced oatmeal ingredients to the Instant Pot the night before. Set the delay timer for the next morning and you’ll have fresh oatmeal ready to go when you wake!