Heaven in a bowl! Oatmeal gets a spring makeover in this simple morning bowl featuring strawberries, rhubarb and coconut.
Let’s be honest. Weekday mornings can be rough. Between hitting the snooze button and rushing to get out the door, breakfast can find itself on the back burner. But it doesn’t have to be this way! L’eggo that Eggo and upgrade your morning with a delicious bowl of creamy coconut oatmeal with strawberry rhubarb compote!
Rhubarb is a springtime taste sensation. Its pretty pink color exudes happiness; its tanginess is pure culinary bliss. Especially when paired with sweet strawberries in compote format. It’s like sour patch kids on steroids, but without the tongue burn, refined sugar and artificial junk. Topping your creamy coconut oats with strawberry rhubarb compote is kind of like eating candy for breakfast, but just as nature intended.
The strawberry rhubarb compote is so simple, saucy and delicious in fact, that I could literally drink it. It can also be made ahead of time, to make your morning routine even easier! Creamy, fiber-rich oats ladened with coconut milk and a bit of coconut oil, take these oats to new, creamy, dreamy heights. Did I mention that there’s an omega-3 boost with a tablespoon or two of flax meal thrown into the mix? It’s the stuff foolproof breakfast dreams are made of. Toasted coconut flakes top it all off for an even better breakfast bowl.Print
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 4 cups water
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split and scraped
- 1 cup coconut flakes (I like thisbrand)
Oatmeal and Toasted Coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- While the oven is heating up, make the oatmeal. In a medium-sized saucepan, boil water with sea salt.
- When the water begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and add in the rolled oats and flax meal. Stir continuously until the oats are cooked (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon, coconut milk, coconut oil and agave nectar. Set aside.
- Once the oven is ready to go, toss coconut flakes on the parchment-lined baking sheet and toast flakes in the oven for about 5 minutes or until golden-brown. Be sure to keep an eye on them or they will burn!
- Add rhubarb, strawberries, lemon juice, vanilla bean and agave nectar to a medium-sized sauce pan.
- Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently and until the rhubarb and strawberries are tender and begin to fall apart.
- Split oatmeal evenly between two bowls (about 1 cup each). Top with strawberry rhubarb compote as desired and toasted coconut. Consider adding extra toppings, like pistachios, as desired.
Strawberry rhubarb compote and toasted coconut flakes can be made ahead of time to shorten your morning routine.