- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, diced
- 32 oz. low sodium vegetable broth/stock
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- salt to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- fresh herbs to top (parsley and thyme)
- In a medium sauce pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic and shallot and cook down for about 5 minutes, or until the onion mixture begins to soften. Stir relatively often during this process.
- Next add the carrots, sweet potato and curry powder. Stir well.
- Add the broth, lentils, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes (or until the lentils begin to soften and fall apart).
- Remove soup from heat and add salt to taste. Remove bay leaf.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with fresh herbs and a squeeze or two of lemon juice as desired.