The Oxford English Dictionary defines alchemy as “a seemingly magical process of transformation, creation, or combination.” I define alchemy as these Everything Bagel Hasselback Potatoes. This bagel-potato hybrid is everything you’d expect in a not-so-ordinary side dish.
On the outside, these golden beauties are crispy with French fry-like edges. The inside reveals a fork-tender, naturally buttery mashed potato-esque center. And then there’s the scrumptious savory coating of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion, garlic and sea salt which raises the question: are these Everything Bagel Hasselback Potatoes pure magic?
Although not quite as impressive as say, granting immortality or turning base metals into gold, these Everything Bagel Hasselback Potatoes achieve transmutation in simple, yet extraordinary ways. First off, there’s the Swedish hasselback method of prepping the potatoes (aka cutting crosswise into the potato, but stopping short of slicing all of the way through), which turns the humdrum baked potato into something extraordinary! But that’s only half the magic. Because the real alchemy starts when that everything bagel seasoning gets baked into each bite of those crispy, creamy hasselback potatoes!
Turning regular potatoes into an enchanting side dish has never been easier or more delicious. I love using baby gold potatoes for this recipe, yielding bite-sized results. These Everything Bagel Hasselback Potatoes would also make for perfect dinner party starters. Pair them with your favorite dip or let them shine all on their own. After all, they already have everything they need!
Looking for another recipe that features potatoes?
🌸 Try these Twice Baked Potato Bites with Coconut Bacon!Print
- 2 lbs organic baby gold potatoes, cleaned and scrubbed
- 1 tbsp everything bagel seasoning blend (I used this blend from Trader Joe’s) + more for extra everything bagelness
- a few pinches of flaky sea salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil, roughly divided
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. (The potatoes are best baked on a middle oven rack, so make any necessary adjustments before pre-heating.)
- Use a knife to make crosswise cuts in each baby gold potato (approximately 10-14 cuts per potato), stopping about 1/4 inch from the bottom.
- Add the potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle 2 tbsp of olive oil over the potatoes and use your hands to lightly rub/coat the potatoes in olive oil. Then add the everything bagel seasoning blend and again, use your hands to evenly distribute the seasoning blend, coating the potatoes.
- Transfer the potatoes to the parchment lined baking sheet, arranging them cut side up. Sprinkle a few pinches of flaky sea salt (as desired) on top.
- Bake the Everything Bagel Hasselback Potatoes for 30 minutes. Then rotate the baking sheet and spoon or drizzle the remaining olive oil on top of the potatoes.
- Bake for another 25 minutes or until the potatoes are golden and crispy on the outside, and fork-tender on the inside.
- Serve the potatoes warm with a sprinkle of fresh chives on top.
- If you can’t find an everything bagel seasoning blend, approximate a mix of white and black sesame seeds, dried minced garlic and onion, poppy seeds and sea salt.