Falafel fans rejoice with this delicious take on savory Middle Eastern street food.
- 1 box (12.3 oz.) firm tofu
- 1 tbsp. Greek seasoning (I used the Spicely Organics brand)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp brown rice vinegar
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 can (15 oz.) of chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1/3 cup of packed, fresh parsley (rinsed)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp. of tahini
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. falafel seasoning (Spicely Organics brand)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 4 tbsp. gluten-free all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup of tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley (rinsed)
- pinch of sea salt
- a dash of paprika to top
Bowl Toppings + Base
- 2 cups of shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup of diced, fresh tomatoes or red bell peppers
- 2 cups of diced cucumbers
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 2 cups of cooked brown or white Basmati rice
- Make the marinated “feta” first to allow the flavors to meld together while making the rest of your bowl.
- Place tofu in a medium bowl and break apart with a fork until crumbly (but not mashed).
- Add Greek seasoning, lemon juice, salt, olive oil and brown rice vinegar.
- Mix well but delicately (as not to mush or over blend the tofu).
- Cover and set aside in the fridge.
- Place all ingredients except for flour and olive oil in a food processor or blend. Blend well (for about 1 minute).
- Scoop mixture into a large bowl and add 4 tbsp. of gluten-free flour. Mix in flour lightly, but well. Do not over mix.
- Mixture will be sticky. Use a tablespoon to scoop out falafel spoonfuls. Handle lightly and roll into a ball. You may find that coating your hands with a dusting of flour make the falafel easier to handle.
- Heat & swirl 4 tbsp. of olive oil in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat.
- Add 3 falafel at a time and cook until browned. Flip and cook the other side. You may need to adjust the heat if your falafel are browning at a fast pace.
- Falafel should be golden brown.
- Place all ingredients in a blender, except for paprika and whirl away until blended.
- Scoop into a bowl and top with a dash of paprika.
- Place 1 cup of rice in the bottom of a bowl. Then add falafel (about 3 should do it!), then add toppings (lettuce, red bell pepper or tomato, red onion and cucumbers. Also be sure to add the marinated “feta.” Drizzle tahini sauce on top of falafel and add parsley as garnish.