Perfect anytime, this savory golden beet tarte Tatin provides a wonderful late summer dish for lunch or a light dinner.
- 1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 stick Earth Balance butter (8 tbsp) diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold water
- 4 golden beets (rinsed and scrubbed + tops and root ends removed)
- 1 small red onion (peeled and diced)
- 15 oz can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp orange juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- handful of fresh parsley (rinsed/washed)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Prepare the beets
- Wrap each beet in tin foil and place in preheated oven for about 45 minutes.
- While beets are cooking, prepare the crust and filling.
- Once beets have cooked, allow them to cool. Peel and thinly slice them. Set aside.
- Place all ingredients except for water and Earth Balance in a food processor. Pulse lightly to mix and then add in the Earth Balance and pulse until butter is well integrated and no larger than the size of small peas.
- Add the water to dough and pulse until the dough begins to form. Take a bit of dough and press in between your fingers to see if it will stick. You may need to add a tad bit more water to the dough if still dry.
- Transfer dough to a flat surface and knead. Form into a flat disk, wrap in parchment paper and chill (refrigerate) for about 30 minutes.
- You can work on making the filling at this time.
- Once dough has chilled, remove from parchment paper (set aside and save) and place in tart pan. Use a spatula or fingers to spread evenly throughout the pan.
- Place parchment paper on top of crust as a cover with pie weights or dried beans (or lentils) on top of paper and blind bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove parchment and beans/weights/lentils and bake for another 10 minutes.
For the filling
- Saute onion in a medium pan over medium heat (you may wish to add a little olive oil to help saute). Set aside.
- Place all filling ingredients (except for beets and onion) in a food processor and whirl away!
- Remove mixture from food processor and place in a medium size bowl. Fold in onion.
- Place filling mixture on top of prepared crust. Spread evening. Layer/top with sliced golden beets.
- You may wish to heat the entire tart in the oven for just a few more minutes (about 2-3) until warm.
Crust and recipe adapted from one of my favorite food blogs.