Herbed Tomato and Quinoa Salad with Grilled Corn
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 heirloom tomato
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa (cook quinoa to package directions)
- 2 zucchini
- 2 ears of grilled corn (kernels removed from the cob)
- 1 nectarine, thinly sliced and pit removed
- olive oil
- sea salt
- optional toppings: pine nuts, dill blossoms, fresh basil, grilled lemon slices (optional for topping)
- 2 cups fresh basil, packed
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Make the pesto. Place all pesto ingredients in a high-speed food processor and whirl away until blended. Add salt to taste as needed. Set aside.
- Slice the heirloom tomato into quarters and half of the cherry tomatoes in half. Set them aside in a small bowl with 2 tbsp of olive oil, one clove of crushed garlic and a sprinkle of sea salt. Toss well to coat.
- Add the other half of the cherry tomatoes to a small bowl and leave whole. Add agave nectar, 3 tbsp of olive oil, 2 cloves of crushed garlic and a sprinkle of sea salt. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes until the tomatoes start to caramelize. Remove from the oven and allow the tomatoes to cool.
- While tomatoes are cooling bring and a large pot of salted water to a boil and add ice and cool water to a medium-sized bowl (set aside). Prepare the zucchini.
- Chop the ends off of the zucchini. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini into ribbons. Place the zucchini in boiling water for 30 seconds. Do not overcook or zucchini will become soft and mushy! Drain the zucchini well and immediately add to ice water. Allow to cool for 1 minute in the ice water. Remove zucchini ribbons and set aside to dry. Lightly dab excess water with a clean cloth. Add 2 tbsp of pesto to the ribbons and lightly toss to coat.
- Divide the quinoa among plates and top with grilled corn, zucchini ribbons, roasted cherry tomatoes, fresh heirloom and cherry tomatoes, nectarine slices, basil, dill, pine nuts and grilled lemon, sea salt and grilled lemon as desired. Dollop more pesto on top and enjoy!