Vegan Shepherd’s Pie Filling (Vegetables/Mushrooms/Herbs)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs of celery, sliced
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced, ends removed
- 3 cups mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- bouquet garni (comprised of thyme, rosemary and sage)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup vegan red wine
- 1 cup frozen organic peas
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
Tempeh-Pecan Meaty Crumble
- 8 oz organic tempeh, cubed
- 1/2 cup pecans (toasted if you aren’t in a rush)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 6 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- salt to taste
- fresh herbs to top (I used a mixture of parsley, dill, sage and thyme)
- Add pecans, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, sea salt and Italian seasoning to a food processor. Pulse about 10 times to mix the pecans with the spices. (Do not over grind.)
- Then add the cubed tempeh and tamari to the pecan mixture, and pulse lightly (about 20 more times) until the tempeh-pecan mixture comes together and is coarsely mixed.
- Next set the Instant Pot to the Sauté setting. Add in the olive oil (3 tbsp of olive oil is a little more than what I’d normally work with, but I found adding a bit more oil up front avoided burning and sticking), along with the carrots, onions, celery and leeks. Sauté for roughly 5 minutes or so; add the mushrooms and sauté for another couple of minutes. Then add the tomato paste and stir evenly to coat the vegetables for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the red wine, vegetable broth and add your bouquet garni (more on this in the Notes section) and tempeh-pecan meaty crumble.
- Place your Instant Pot trivet into the Shepherd’s pie mixture and sit the peeled potatoes on top.
- Cancel the Sauté setting and change the setting to Manual for 12 minutes. Make sure your Instant Pot lid valve is set to “sealing.”
- While the Instant Pot is working its magic, pre-heat the oven to broil.
- Once the Instant Pot is done, transfer the potatoes to a food processor. Pour the almond milk over the top, add the vegan butter and puree until smooth. Do not over puree, or the potatoes will be hard to work with and glue-like.
- Fold in the frozen peas to the vegan Shepherd’s pie filling and spoon the filling into 6 large ramekins (or an 8 x 8 baking dish). Top each serving with the mashed potatoes. Transfer ramekins to a large baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes (this will vary depending on your oven — keep a close watch!) until the potatoes are golden brown on top.
- Allow the vegan Shepherd’s pies to cool ever so slightly, top with fresh herbs and enjoy!
To make a bouquet garni, simply tie baker’s twine around several sprigs of fresh herbs (or use a muslin bag tied with string). Remove the bouquet garni before eating.