A salad even Queen Bey can get behind. Try out this delicious Kale Berry Salad with Cinnamon Chickpea Croutons for lunch or dinner!
I know, I know. Kale is on the edge of reaching it’s cultural saturation point, but it’s summer and it’s hot. And I’ve been craving big salads loaded with fresh produce as my main squeeze for lunch or dinner. So it was an easy choice putting together this Kale Berry Salad with Cinnamon Chickpea Croutons. Fresh berries, creamy avocado and maple spiced cinnamon chickpea croutons adorn dark, leafy kale in this delicious salad. Drizzling honey balsamic vinaigrette all over the top ain’t half bad either. Actually, it’s quite addicting.
Putting this salad all together will take just about as long as it will for you to polish it off. Okay, I’m lying. Polishing it off won’t take but a couple two, three minutes. Five max. Yes, it’s THAT good.
So what’s the big deal about kale? I mean besides it being stitched on every t-shirt and sweatshirt known to wo(man). Well, it’s loaded with chlorophyll (which helps us convert the sun’s rays to energy). It’s also loaded with antioxidants AND vitamins C, A, B6 (and the list goes on). Topping this Kale Berry Salad with protein-packed chickpea croutons, low-glycemic index berries and heart healthy avocado makes this salad a home run.
If you try out this Kale Berry Salad with Cinnamon Chickpea Croutons, I’d love to know! Be sure to tag your Instagram #homegrownprovisions or Tweet me @homegrownprov so I can see all the yummy freshness you’re whipping up!Print
- 1 head of curly kale (washed, loosely torn and stems removed)
- 1 avocado peeled and diced
- 1 cup of strawberries, cleaned and halved
- 1 cup of raspberries
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas (rinsed, drained and patted dry with a paper towel)
- 2-3 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp maple syrup or honey
Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add drained chickpeas to a medium size mixing bowl and add in all chickpea crouton ingredients. Toss lightly to coat.
- Bake until chickpeas are toasty and golden brown (about 25 minutes). Set aside.
Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Whisk all ingredients together in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- Split kale between two medium-large size bowls. Top with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, avocado and chickpea croutons.
- Drizzle with with as much vinaigrette as you’d like and serve immediately.
I drizzled the honey balsamic vinaigrette on top of my salad, but you could also try massaging it into the kale as a another approach. Massaging kale helps to break down the fiber and makes it easier to chew/digest for some.