Dove-gray clouds hang low in the sky. The pale light of a short winter’s day wanes, as the afternoon turns to deep velvet ink. Trees sparkle with frost revealed only by the moon and starlight. In the kitchen, lavender buds spill onto the countertop and I take my first sip of creamy lavender moon milk.
Topped with a dash of nutmeg and a sprinkle of lavender buds, this delicious nightcap calls on one of the oldest natural remedies for sleeplessness—warm milk. Crafted with nutmeg, lavender, walnuts, and oats, this lavender moon milk is dairy-free, deeply nourishing and naturally soothing. It’s also the perfect companion for dream journaling, unwinding and setting intentions as the New Year grows near.
Do you ever reflect or dream about intentions you’ve set just before bed? A racing mind makes it difficult to drift off to dreamland, which is why lavender moon milk lends a calming, grounding hand to your meditation practice, journaling or slipping into zzzs.
Fortified with oats, walnuts, lavender and nutmeg, lavender moon milk tucks you in under a warm blanket and serenades you to sleep.
🌕 Walnuts – Drifting off to sleep is easy with walnuts, which are a good source of the sleep-enhancing amino acid, tryptophan. Tryptophan is a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin and the hormone melatonin (which maintains your body’s circadian rhythm – i.e. sleep-wake cycle).
🌕 Oats – Also rich in melatonin, oats and contain calcium, magnesium (deficiencies of magnesium are associated with several sleep disorders including restless leg syndrome) and potassium, which helps relax muscles and nerves in the body.
🌕 Lavender – A calming part of your bedtime routine, the smell from lavender alone may put you in a more relaxed state and could also increase the percentage of slow-wave sleep experienced throughout the night.
🌕 Nutmeg – Touting mild sedative properties, nutmeg is why you may have felt sleepy after eating all of those baked holiday goodies!
Enveloped in comfort, I sip on a small mug of lavender moon milk and allow my thoughts to wander. I journal a bit and feel gratitude for all that manifested in the past year. My heart and mind are open and ready for fresh experiences in the New Year!
Looking for more recipes featuring lavender? Check these beauties below!
💜 Lavender Chia Parfaits
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup rolled oats, gluten-free if desired
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 Medjool dates (pitted)
- 1 tsp lavender buds, dried + culinary grade (plus more to top)
- Place all ingredients except for lavender in a high-speed blender and whirl away until smooth and creamy.
- Strain the walnut-oat milk through a fine mesh sieve or nut milk bag to separate out grainy bits and/or residue and pour the milk back into the blender.
- Add the lavender. Puree for about a minute or so, until the lavender is well incorporated.
- Strain the lavender moon milk through a fine mesh sieve or nut milk bag a second time, to remove any final residue and/or partial lavender buds.
- Gently heat the milk for 3-5 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Pour the lavender moon milk into a mug(s) and serve slightly warm with a dash of nutmeg and a sprinkle of lavender buds.
Some like it hot! If you prefer a warmer cup of moon milk, be advised that as the milk heats, the consistency will thicken due to the rolled oats.
On another note, if you have the time, consider soaking (and draining) the walnuts for a bit before using in this recipe (overnight if desired). This will create an ultra-creamy milk.