- 1 fresh baguette*
- 6–8 oz European Style Cultured Vegan Butter, room temperature
- pinches of flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- 1 bunch of red radishes, washed and trimmed
- 1/2 hothouse cucumber, thinly sliced
- baby arugula sprigs
Quick Pickled Carrots
- 1 large carrot, peeled, trimmed and shredded
- 1/4 cup organic brown rice vinegar
- 1/4 water
- 1 tsp organic cane sugar
- a few pinches of flaky sea salt
- Pickle the carrots. Add the rice vinegar, water, sugar and salt to a large glass jar or small bowl. Stir gently, then add the carrots (it’s okay if the sugar is not completely dissolved). Let the carrots pickle in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- While the carrots are pickling, add the radishes to a bowl of ice water. Let the radishes soak until you are ready to make your sandwiches. (Note: this is an optional step, but it helps to keep the radishes crisp and fresh.)
- Slice the baguette crosswise into quarters or thirds, then slice each piece lengthwise to open.
- Spread a generous, even layer of vegan butter on both sides of the baguette (top and bottom). Sprinkle a few pinches of flaky sea salt over the butter. Repeat this step for each baguette pair.
- Remove the radishes from the ice water, pat them dry and then thinly slice them.
- Layer the radish slices on one side of the baguette and the cucumber slices on the other side. Top the cucumbers with a few of the quick pickled carrots; top the radishes with a few sprigs of baby arugula. Repeat this step for the remaining baguette pairs.
- Put the sandwich halves together, serve and enjoy!
- *Gluten-free friends, use your favorite gluten-free bread or baguette variety of your choice to make these sandwiches.
- This recipe takes well to variations. Swap vegan butter for hummus, mashed avocado or even vegan cream cheese as you wish.
- Having a spring soiree? Serve these sandwiches as hors d’oeuvres! Simply cut the baguette into smaller pieces before dressing them-up and serving.