Roasted delicata squash rings filled with a savory stuffing makes for the perfect Thanksgiving side.
- 2 medium delicata squash (cut into rings, with seeds + “guts” removed)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of good quality sea salt
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 small apple, cored and diced
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 4–5 sage leaves
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water)
- Make the flax egg. Add 3 tbsp of water to 1 tbsp of ground flax seed and mix well. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- Saute diced onion for about 10-15 minutes. Then add the diced apple and cook for 3 more minutes. Set aside.
- Chiffonade the sage and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts and add to the large mixing bowl. Add dried cranberries as well.
- Next add the flax egg, cooked quinoa, and apple-onion mixture. Fold/mix well.
- Place the squash rings on the lined parchment paper baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and maple syrup. Sprinkle sea salt over rings.
- Stuff Thanksgiving stuffing (quinoa filling) in the center of each squash ring.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until squash is tender and quinoa is golden brown.