- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup gluten-free flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour (or starch)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8 tbsp vegan butter
- 6–8 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 2 tbsp aquafaba
- demerara sugar, optional for sprinkling
- 3 apples (such as Jonagold), cored and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- brown rice syrup, for glaze
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Make the dough. Add pecans and rolled oats to a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine meal.
- Add the gluten-free flour, corn starch, tapioca flour, flax seeds, sugar, and salt in the food processor. Pulse 5 times to combine. Then add the vegan butter.
- Pulse 10-15 times until the dough resembles coarse meal. Add 6 tbsp of cold water and pulse two more times. The dough should come together with your fingers. Turn the dough out onto lightly floured parchment paper.
- Shape the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk. If the dough is crumbly, add 1-2 more tbsp of cold water to help it come together. Wrap the dough in parchment and refrigerate until chilled.
(You can also use the dough straight away if you’re in a hurry.)
- While the dough is chilling, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make the filling. In a medium-sized bowl, add the apples, maple syrup, lemon juice, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg. Using your hands and a spoon, gently toss the apples to coat. Set aside.
- When you’re ready to use the dough, place it in between two sheets of parchment paper. (Dust parchment with flour as needed).
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into approximately a 12 inch circle, leaving a 2 inch overhang.
- Arrange the apple slices (not the juices) in a circular fashion (or however your heart desires!).
- Fold up the edges of the dough over the apples.
- In a small bowl, combine aquafaba and butter. Brush the edge of the galette dough with the aquafaba and butter mixture. Then, lightly brush the top of the apples with the mixture as well. (This will prevent burnt, dried out fruit.)
- Sprinkle the edges of the galette with demerara sugar if desired.
- Bake the galette (on the parchment lined baking sheet) for 50 minutes or until the crust is golden and the apples are tender.
- Cool the galette on a wire rack. For a beautiful sheen, brush or lightly drizzle the apple galette with brown rice syrup as desired.
- Serve galette slices warm, with scoops of vegan vanilla ice cream.