Shaved Brussels sprouts, ruby red grapefruit and creamy avocado, drizzled with a delicious grapefruit tahini dressing showcase the best of winter.
If you haven’t felt the sun in days, this salad is for you. In fact, I’m so smitten with this recipe, that I’ve already made it twice…in one week. With just a few ingredients, it comes together quickly and is bursting with citrusy flavor. Creamy avocado tempers the boldness of juicy ruby red grapefruit and fresh, shaved Brussels sprouts give the salad a flavorful crunch. If you’re not a huge Brussels sprout fan, the deliciously rich grapefruit tahini dressing enhances the flavor of this salad dramatically. And a sprinkle of red chili flakes on top give the salad a bit of heat.
This is a salad you can feel really good about. A superfood with cancer-fighting potential, Brussels sprouts tout numerous health benefits, including anti-inflammatory, cardioprotective and detoxification properties. And antioxidant-rich grapefruit is no stranger to the world of preventing and decreasing risk to adverse health conditions. Its powerful cancer-fighting, stroke-preventing, detoxifying and anti-inflammatory properties pack a healthful punch. Hand in hand, Brussels sprouts and grapefruit make a great pair!Print
For the salad
- 3 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 dried cranberries
- 1 avocado (peeled and sliced)
- 1 large ruby red grapefruit
- red chili flakes (optional, to top)
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp yuzu rice vinegar (or any other rice vinegar will do)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Make the dressing first.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a small-medium size bowl. Set aside.
- Place the shaved Brussels sprouts, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Toss well.
- If you like a well-dressed salad, drizzle the salad with half of the dressing. Toss well to coat.
- Plate the salad and prepare the grapefruit and avocado to finish.
- Remove the pith and peel from the grapefruit. Cut grapefruit into suitable sized pieces to place on top of the salad.
- Arrange sliced avocado on top and sprinkle salad with chili flakes.
- Drizzle the remained of the dressing on top. Or just dress to your liking.
Shaved Brussels sprouts can be made by thinly slicing sprout with a very sharp knife or by using a mandolin. Please take care when preparing!