For the salad
- 3 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 dried cranberries
- 1 avocado (peeled and sliced)
- 1 large ruby red grapefruit
- red chili flakes (optional, to top)
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp yuzu rice vinegar (or any other rice vinegar will do)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Make the dressing first.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a small-medium size bowl. Set aside.
- Place the shaved Brussels sprouts, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Toss well.
- If you like a well-dressed salad, drizzle the salad with half of the dressing. Toss well to coat.
- Plate the salad and prepare the grapefruit and avocado to finish.
- Remove the pith and peel from the grapefruit. Cut grapefruit into suitable sized pieces to place on top of the salad.
- Arrange sliced avocado on top and sprinkle salad with chili flakes.
- Drizzle the remained of the dressing on top. Or just dress to your liking.
Shaved Brussels sprouts can be made by thinly slicing sprout with a very sharp knife or by using a mandolin. Please take care when preparing!