Spiced Pecan, Apple and Persimmon Salad
- 1–2 Fuyu persimmons, cored and thinly sliced*
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Chioggia beet, trimmed, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 5 cups baby spinach and arugula mix (or salad greens of your choice)
- 2 tbsp pepitas
- pomegranate arils (seed pods), fresh sage, and thyme leaves to top
- 1 1/4 cup pecan halves
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- coarse grain sea salt
Maple Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1 tsp vegan Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, lightly chopped
- salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a deep baking pan, add the beets; drizzle with olive oil and cover the pan with tin foil. Bake the beets in the oven for 30 minutes or until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the pecans, maple syrup, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice. Gently mix to evenly coat.
- Spread the pecans in an even layer on the parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes (checking the pecans at 10 minutes and giving them a gentle stir to prevent burning; baking for another 5 minutes.) Remove the spiced pecans from the oven and sprinkle salt on top as desired (while the pecans are still warm); set aside to cool. (You can roast the pecans in tandem with the beets – albeit variances in timing.)
- Mix the salad greens with the roasted beets, spiced pecans, persimmon and apple. Top with pepitas, pomegranate arils and fresh herbs as desired.
- Make the vinaigrette by whisking the mustard, maple syrup, red wine vinegar and olive oil together. Add the fresh thyme leaves and salt to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and enjoy!
*If you don’t like the taste of persimmon with the skin on, simply peel the persimmon before slicing.