Strawberry Lemonade Muffins (Vegan)
- 2 cups (240 g) white whole wheat flour, plus 1 tsp
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fine grain salt
- 1/2 cup organic granulated cane sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used flax milk)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 tbsp vegan-friendly strawberry jam, preserves or fruit spread
- 1–2 tsp vegan-friendly strawberry jam, preserves or fruit spread
- 4 large fresh strawberries, hulled and halved or quartered, and sliced into smaller pieces
- 1–2 tbsp organic turbinado sugar (optional)
- 1–2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Prepare the muffin pan. Line a 12-count muffin pan with 12 cupcake-sized liners/baking cups. Mist the liners lightly with vegetable oil spray. If you don’t have any paper liners handy, mist the tins themselves or grease them with vegan butter or oil.
- Prepare the diced strawberries. Coat the diced strawberries in a light dusting of flour (use the extra 1 tsp of flour to do this). Set aside.
- Prepare the dry ingredients. Sift the flour (2 cups), baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest and whisk to incorporate and set aside.
- Prepare the wet ingredients. Whisk the lemon juice, applesauce, non-dairy milk and avocado oil together in a separate bowl. The mixture may curdle a bit. This is normal.
- Make the batter. Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and fold the mixture together until just moistened and no dry flour remains. Do not overwork the batter.
- Add the jam and strawberries. Gently swirl in the strawberry jam with a butter knife; add the flour-dusted strawberries. Use the butter knife to stir them into the batter until just covered.
- Fill the muffin tins. Evenly distribute spooned batter into the prepared muffin tins. (Fill the batter almost to the top of each tin.)
- Add the toppings. Add a scant amount of jam to the top of each muffin and use a toothpick to make a swirl in the batter. Top each muffin with cut strawberry pieces and sprinkles of turbinado sugar as desired.
- Bake the muffins. Bake the muffins for 20-22 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Cool the muffins. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before carefully removing them (when they are cool enough to handle) for further cooling on a wire cooling rack (about 10 minutes). Once cool, sprinkle with more lemon zest as desired.
- Enjoy! Serve the muffins warm and enjoy!
- These muffins are best enjoyed fresh. You can read more about the storage of homemade muffins at FoodSafety.gov.