Summer Fresh Mango Veggie Noodles Bowls
- 1 large cucumber (English hothouse or large garden varieties will do)
- 1 medium-large-sized zucchini
- 1 large, slightly ripe mango (peeled, pitted and halved)
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp brown rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp lime juice
Hoisin Style Glazed Tofu
- 1, 14 oz package of firm tofu, drained and pressed*
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp brown rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp warm water
- 1 tbsp of neutral oil (such as canola oil)
- lime zest/grated lime peel
- fresh basil, Thai purple basil, mint, zucchini blossoms
- flaky sea salt to taste
- Hoisin Style Glazed Tofu: Slice pressed tofu into cubes. Then add the cornstarch to warm water in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining glaze ingredients together, then add them to a saucepan or skillet. Stir to incorporate and bring to a low simmer over medium-low heat. Add the cornstarch/water mixture. Stir frequently and cook until the hoisin glaze becomes slightly thick (about 3-5 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- Hoisin Style Glazed Tofu: Warm 1 tbsp of neutral oil in a cast iron skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Then add the tofu cubes. Leave the tofu cubes undisturbed for a few seconds before flipping and repeating. Cook the tofu cubes until golden on all sides; reducing the heat as necessary.
- Hoisin Style Glazed Tofu: Give the hoisin style glaze a good stir, then pour the glaze over the top of the golden tofu. Stir gently to coat, then allow the tofu to sear in the sauce for a few minutes longer, flipping the tofu (about 30 seconds or so on each side) and stirring frequently until slightly crispy edges appear. Remove the pan from heat. Set the tofu aside.
- Dressing: Combine maple syrup, brown rice vinegar, sesame oil and fresh lime juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Summer Fresh Mango Veggie Noodles Bowls: Use a spiralizer or julienne peeler to create cucumber and zucchini noodles. (Slice off zucchini and cucumber ends prior to spiralizing; cut the curcubits in-half as necessary.) Place the veggie noodles into a large bowl and gently pat them with a clean kitchen towel to soak up any excess moisture.
- Summer Fresh Mango Veggie Noodles Bowls: Half and slice the mango into thin strips crosswise. Add the mango and shredded carrots to the veggie noodles. Gently toss the noodles, carrots, and mango with the dressing. Divide the ingredients between bowls or serve the noodles, etc. from one large bowl.
- Summer Fresh Mango Veggie Noodles Bowls: Add the hoisin style glazed tofu to the top of your bowl(s). Garnish with optional toppings as desired.** Enjoy!
- *To press, wrap your tofu in a clean kitchen towel and place a weighty object like a cast iron skillet or cookbook atop 15-30 minutes prior to cooking.
- **Other topping ideas: peanuts, maple-tamari cashews, crushed red pepper flakes, cilantro, avocado, and more! Get creative and make this dish your own!
- Add 3.1 oz of cooked buckwheat soba noodles (or swap it for one of the veggie noodles) for a substantial supper. (Cook soba noodles according to package directions.)
- Recipe inspiration from my garden & Bon Appetit.