Sweet Potato Tahini Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 1 white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 6 small sweet potatoes, cleaned, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 oz full fat coconut milk (canned)
- 1 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp low sodium tamari
- 3 tbsp tahini
- lime and cilantro (optional garnish)
Maple-Tamari Roasted Cashews
- 2 cups raw, unsalted cashews
- 3 tbsp low sodium tamari
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (for the cashews).
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil and onions. Sweat the onions for 5 minutes. Then add curry powder, smoked paprika and ground ginger and saute onion mixture for another 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add diced sweet potatoes to the onion mixture and cover with coconut milk and vegetable broth. Add bay leaf and tamari to the soup and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes more, stirring occasionally and until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the maple-tamari roasted cashews.
- Add the cashews to a parchment lined baking sheet. Spread evenly and roast in the oven for 7 minutes.
- While cashews are roasting, prepare the maple-tamari sauce. Mix tamari, maple syrup, sesame seeds, cayenne pepper and cinnamon in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir until ingredients are well combined. Add roasted cashews to the maple-tamari sauce and toss to coat.
- Spread maple-tamari coated cashews evenly on the parchment lined baking sheet and roast for an additional 15 minutes, stirring half-way through.
- Remove maple-tamari cashews from the oven and transfer to a clean baking sheet to cool.
- Loop back in to check on your soup. Turn the stove off, remove the bay leaf (with a spoon) and carefully ladle soup into a blender; blend until smooth (caution – soup will be hot!). Transfer blended soup back into the pot. If using an immersion blender, blend soup directly in the pot until smooth.
- Turn the stove back on to low heat and swirl in the tahini. Reheat the soup until tahini is well combined. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with maple-tamari cashews, squeezes of lime juice and fresh cilantro. Drizzle with olive oil as desired.