Quick Pickled Vegetables
- 1/2 cup purple daikon radish, cut into matchsticks and/or thinly sliced/shaved
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned or cut into matchstick strips
- 1 tsp organic cane sugar
- 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 8 oz. organic soy tempeh, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tsp brown rice vinegar
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- cayenne pepper (optional topping)
- Butter lettuce leaves (for wrapping)
- cilantro, chives, mint, cucumber and jalapeño slices for serving
- Pickled Vegetables: Toss the daikon radish, carrots, brown rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a medium-sized bowl and let stand at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the banh mi lettuce wraps.
- Tempeh: In a small bowl, whisk together the brown rice vinegar, lime juice, tamari, 1 tbsp of olive oil, maple syrup, garlic and ginger. Place the cut tempeh into a shallow bowl bowl or baking pan and pour the marinade over the top. Cover and place in the refrigerator. Marinate the temeph for 30 minutes; gently mixing half way through (to redistribute the marinade).
- Sriracha Mayo: In a small bowl, whisk the Sriracha and mayo together. Set aside. Dust with cayenne pepper as desired for extra spiciness.
- Tempeh: Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Cook the marinated tempeh for 3 minutes. Flip and brush the tempeh with remaining marinade and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until tempeh is golden brown with crispy edges.
- Assembly: Fill butter lettuce leaves with golden brown tempeh. Spoon pickled vegetables over the top and add cilantro, chives, mint, cucumber and jalapeño slices as desired. Top with Sriracha mayo. Enjoy!
- Some like it hot! Customize the spice level of this recipe to your liking. (Add or omit jalapeños and Sriracha as needed.)
- For the quick pickled veggies: swap out radishes of any kind for the purple daikon. If you love all things pickled, you could also add the cucumbers and jalapeño slices to the mix. Adjust pickling liquid as needed.