Eat your way to good fortune in the New Year with this tasty Texas dish.
- 4 cups cooked black-eyed-peas
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño (seeded & finely minced)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 scallions (chopped/sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (minced) + more for garnish
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp orange muscat champagne vinegar
- juice of 2 limes (plus more if serving with avocados)
- 1/2 tsp salt + more to taste (as desired)
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 large avocados (optional, for serving)
- Hot sauce (as desired)
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and fold to combine.
- Allow flavors to meld. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour prior to serving.
- Add a bit more salt and pepper to taste. Add hot sauce if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips or with half-shelled avocados* (pits removed).
- *Tip: Large avocados are recommended here. Prior to serving, generously drizzle lime juice on avocado halves. This will prevent browning and taste delicious!
If you are using canned beans for your caviar be sure to drain and rinse the beans before adding into the mix to reduce sodium content. Did you know? Draining the liquid from a can of beans can cut the sodium by as much as 36 percent!